Summer planning/Coursework Planning - Statement of Intent

  Statement Of Intent

  • TITLE: Hidden
  • GENRE: fantasy 
  • CHARACTERS: Lara (main character/antagonist), Government (protagonist)
The title of my scene depicts the idea that the main character has hidden powers which describes the fact that she has to hide away from the rest of the 'normal' world. In this 2 minute TV show, there will be a main character called Lara (antagonist) who ends up being chased by government spies (protagonist) as they want her telekinesis powers. One day, she finds out she has the ability to use it to her advantage to trick the government.

I intend to meet the brief by filming in multiple locations which in my 2 minute sequence includes Lara receiving an anonymous call from the government saying they know her secret which causes a disequilibrium in the video. I am going to start off my 2 minute clip with a biography of Lara's life so that the audience can gain background information using non-diegetic sound. The use of non-diegetic sound will also reinforce the idea of the fantasy genre as I will additionally add sound effects to sustain the fantasy idea in the viewer's mind whilst watching. Furthermore, I will use diegetic sound in my video by using dialogue to retain a realistic approach to the video. The main shot I will use will be a wide shot to establish the surroundings and setting and a close-up shot to allow the audience to understand where the video is set. I will also mainly use close-up shots to show details on objects and emotions the characters feel, for example when Lara is running from the government I will zoom into her face to emphasize her emotions. This will allow the audience to have a close connection to the main character as they'll understand what they feel (Blumer and Katz's: personal relationships). The narrative resolution at the end of my video will be when Lara finds out who was really behind the government's scheme but will however turn to the government's side to help them work together and find more information the government needs. This will twist the whole narrative completely (disequilibrium) and will make both Lara and the government heroes (Propp's theory) as they now will be working together to help save the fantasy world. I will use natural lighting to create a realistic setting (enigma). 

The main character will tackle usual stereotypes of women as women are usually seen as weak and the main character is usually a powerful man. This will be shown when Lara remains powerful when she runs away from the government. This will be seen through the middle of my 2 minute sequence. My target audience will be older teenagers and women to show the subversion of stereotypes to show women can be just as powerful as men. I will use diversion to help the audience escape their reality and suck them into this fantasy world and entertain them. 


Comments