The Pill - Statement Of Intent. NEW

  Statement Of Intent

  • TITLE: The Pill

  • GENRE: Fantasy 

  • CHARACTERS: Lara (main character/antagonist), Government (protagonist)

The title of my 2-minute sequence (The Pill) depicts the idea that the main idea of my sequence will include a pill. However, the main character (Olivia) receives a text message saying to not take it so she decides not to take it as she wonders what will happen if she doesn't abide by the rules which causes a disequilibrium. She then gets a call from an unknown number and she uses dialogue to try and speak to them (diegetic sound). She goes on a walk outside her house where she discovers she wasn't the only one to receive the text message and sees her friends lying on the ground in pain, she runs back home to take the pill.

I intend to meet the brief by filming in multiple locations which in my 2-minute sequence includes Olivia receiving a text message from an unknown number telling her to not take the pill which will cause a disequilibrium in the video. I am going to start off my 2-minute clip with her waking up from bed by using a birds-eye view and a match-on action shot to establish the setting of her bedroom. This is so that the audience understands where the clip is set. I will show parts of the setting, for example, when Olivia goes on a walk where she finds her friends unresponsive and in pain on the ground. I will also use close-up shots to show detail on objects and emotions the characters feel, for example when Olivia discovers her friends on the ground, I will zoom into her face to emphasise her emotions. This will allow the audience to have a close connection to the main character (Blumer + Katz: personal relationships). I will use non-diegetic sound by adding sound effects to sustain the fantasy idea in the viewer's mind whilst watching. Furthermore, I will use dialogue (diegetic sound) in my video to reinforce a narrative disruption. The narrative resolution at the end of my 2-minute sequence will be when Olivia decides to take the pill so that she doesn't end up like her friends who didn't take it. This will disrupt the narrative (disequilibrium) and will make the pill the hero (Propp's character theory) as the pill has saved her from being in pain (Todorov's narrative theory).

Olivia (a white teenage girl) will tackle a cliched stereotype of females as they are usually seen as weak, and the main character is usually a powerful male. I will demonstrate subversion of stereotypes as Olivia remains powerful when she sees her friends in pain on the street. The disequilibrium will be seen through the middle of my 2-minute sequence. My TV drama's target audience will be older teenagers and females to show the subversion of stereotypes to show females can be just as powerful as males. I will use diversion to allow the audience to escape their reality and entertain them through this fantasy world.

Comments

  1. - generally cut down your word count where possible
    - specific examples of camera shots / angles used
    - diegetic sound provide a line that you may use for dialogue
    - change the word 'tackle' to subvert or reject
    - change Propp to Tordorov but also include how Propp's character theory links to your characters
    - Include action and enigma codes (Barthes' theory)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment